Vietnam

Visita Iglesia 2016

Ilocos Vacation



Sta. Isabel

Despite many doubts, and suggestions to take the more direct route to Barasoain, I insisted on Google Maps.   We ventured many paths, relied solely on Google Maps to take us where we would go.   I checked the road names every so often, and I think I remembered venturing on a main road.

Then we went deep into a town.  I had nothing but Google Maps to go around.   And my faith, though tested, was greatly rewarded.   (Which is why I believe the "Bulacan through Google Maps" plan was a success).    It was actually worth it, it was very pretty.

The facade of the church; traditional but elegantly made

Surprisingly beautiful interior

Immaculate Conception

From there, we took the trip generally on Google Maps.   We made it shortly to Immaculate Conception with some recalculations.   I actually took a lot of pictures; it was a cathedral, I found out.

The large facade


The altar

The bishop's chair

There was another altar to the side




Some paintings depicting episodes in Mary's life

Barasoain

Okay, first off, I believe the Barasoain Church is a familiar sight, a landmark of my memories.   It was a historical church, and a wonderful hallmark of Bulacan's religious.   However, to my discomfort, they somehow "rearranged" the altar somewhat, "vibing" off, of all things, the Lord of the Rings (it reminded me of Aragorn's crown).



Barasoain against the sparkle of the sun

A clearer shot

A cross on the center of the square

TELL ME that doesn't remind you of Lord of the Rings

Barasoain I think underwent major renovation and modernization; but the interior and its appearance was mostly good.  I just thought the altar was a little flashy, and a little on the fantasy side.

Barasoain was the 7th church we visited; it was also the end of the journey, as it would take us to nightfall to explore the others.  So we journeyed home and visited our local parish last.

It was more than a trip; it was an adventure.  We had not ventured outside of Manila before, despite our own Bulacan residence.   It was fitting we would make a grand entrance to Bulacan, and it was for the better part, a success, both for its luck and Google Maps.


Now, the year before that, we didn't get a chance to do the traditional Visita Iglesia, because we took a more important route: a Pilgrimage across Europe culminating in the canonization of Pope John Paul II and Pope John XXIII.   It was 2014.  To this I will now turn.







No comments:

Post a Comment